CVC Capital Partners' Fund VII mentioned in a statement published on its website that "The closing is subject to standard conditions precedent, the approval by the antitrust and regulatory authorities and the approval of an Extraordinary General Meeting of NBG shareholders".
The final transaction price includes the EUR 120 million connected to reaching specific milestones in sales of bancassurance products by 2026. At the same time, the deal comes with a 15-year contract for an exclusive partnership regarding the sale of Ethniki's insurance products through the NBG branch network.
In October 2020, xprimm wrote here that National Bank of Greece is in advanced talks with CVC Capital Partners about the sale of its insurance unit. At that time, the expected value of the transaction of sale of 80% of Greek insurer - mentioned by local media was around EUR 460-480 million.
NBG is trying to sell ETHNIKI Asfalisitiki for years to shore up its capital buffers.
XPRIMM covered the story of ETHNIKI sale since 2016. Below you can find our materials on this subject:
- 13 December 2016 - GREECE: Bids for NBG's Ethniki Insurance set for Q1
- 9 January 2017 - GREECE's NBG likely to sell its insurance unit this year
- 17 January 2017 - GREEK turnaround adds sheen to NBG's insurance asset sale
- 5 April 2017 - ETHNIKI Insurance sale: four investors are bidding for the majority stake
- 10 April 2017 - GREECE's National Bank gets four bids for insurance unit
- 3 May 2017 - GREECE: Calamos-Exin predicts National Insurance bid hard to match
- 18 May 2017 - Wilbur Ross backs American-Dutch bid for Ethniki Insurance
- 18 May 2017 - U.S. commerce secretary backs Calamos-EXIN bid for GREEK insurer
- 8 June 2017 - GREECE: Greek American EXIN Partners Acquire Emblematic Greek Insurer Ethniki Asfalistiki
- 15 June 2017 - GREECE: Calamos-Exin to land Ethniki Insurance
- 29 June 2017 - ETHNIKI Insurance close to becoming an American-Dutch owned company
- 12 October 2017 - GREECE: Ethniki Insurance deal is proceeding
- 18 January 2018 - GREECE: Ethniki Insurance deal to be funded by giants?
- 7 February 2018 - GREECE: Acquisition of Ethniki Insurance poised to collapse
- 7 February 2018 - GREECE: Exin seeks extension of Ethniki funding deadline
- 13 February 2018 - GREECE: NBG gives Exin until late March for Ethniki Insurance
- 21 February 2018 - The sale of the Greek largest insurer remained under the question mark
- 26 February 2018 - GREECE: Exin appeals for more time to finalise Ethniki offer
- 22 March 2018 - GREECE: Ethniki equity listing possible if Exin deal flops
- 28 March 2018 - Greece: China's FOSUN to bid again for ETHNIKI if winning bid fails
- 3 April 2018 - GREECE's NBG looking at all options on insurance arm sale, CFO says
- 3 April 2018 - Ethniki bid process re-opened after Exin falls short
- 3 April 2018 - Fairfield: We are still in the race for Ethniki
- 3 April 2018 - GREECE's NBG says deal to sell insurance arm to EXIN terminated
- 26 April 2018 - Chinese groups renew interest in Greek insurance sale
- 2 May 2018 - Ethniki bidder receives boost from Greek Union as Chinese firms circle
- 3 May 2018 - NBG to continue the ETHNIKI sale process with the runners-up in the last phase
- 17 May 2018 - GREECE: CEO of Ethniki owner National Bank of Greece steps down
- 24 October 2018 - REUTERS wrote, quoting NBG representatives, that "no further negotiations with GONGBAO would be pursued"
- 1 November 2018 - Ethniki sale saga continues: NBG to ask EU for more time to complete the sale
- 9 January 2019 - Greece: new bid for the Ethniki acquisition
- 18 January 2019 - National Bank of Greece to extend deadline to sell Insurance subsidiary
- 24 October 2019 - GREECE: 4 bidders for a new attempt to sell ETHNIKI
- 11 December 2019 - Ethniki Asfalisitiki: a new chapter in the Greek's insurance market flagship sale
- 14 April 2020 - NBG has postponed the sale of ETHNIKI Asfalisitiki on Coronavirus pandemic
- 20 October 2020 - GREECE: The ETHNIKI investor to include in contract a target clause