GREECE: No casualties reported after the major Crete earthquake

6 May 2020 — Andrei Victor
A 6.0 magnitude quake struck off on Saturday May 2nd, the Greek island of Crete - which is a popular holiday destination - but there were no reports of casualties or damage. "It was not immediately known the level of damage or injuries on the island, which is one of Grece's biggest, but experts believe it is minimal", wrote reuters.

The Athens Geodynamic Institute said the epicentre was about 55 kilometres south of the city of Ierapetra, a town on the south coast of Crete. "No victims or serious damage has been reported so far," a local police officer told AFP.

The last deadly quake occurred in the island of Kos in the Aegean Sea in July 2017 (two victims). The deadliest temblor in recent years struck the Athens region in 1999, killing 143 people.

567 views
Share |