At the same time, the majority of drivers who consider speeding as safe agree with the statement that those who regularly get penalty points should pay more for third party liability insurance.
The second edition of the PIU survey, conducted in May and June 2022, shows that the image of Polish drivers in their own eyes has not changed much in the last two years. The analysis shows that:
- 96% of the respondents described themselves as good drivers (up from 91%), and 82% stated that when performing maneuvers, they always accurately assess the situation on the road.
- 59% described their skills as higher than the average Polish driver.
- More than half of the respondents (52%) stated that it is possible to drive quickly and safely, which is 3 pp less than two years ago. 53% considered that experienced drivers could drive the vehicle at high speed without causing accidents (a decrease of 2 pp).
- 27% of respondents found that speeding in the city by 30 km/h still guarantees safety - an increase of 4 pp compared to the previous edition of the study.
- As in 2020, the three most common offenses by Polish drivers are: speeding in the city (18%), hand-held phone calls (13%) and speeding outside the city (12%).
According to the data of the Police Headquarters, in 2021 there were over 22.8 thousand road accidents in which over 2.2 thousand people died and 26 thousand were injured.
The PIU survey shows that Polish drivers have a lot of tolerance for breaking the rules. In exceptional situations, they are more likely to allow, inter alia, the possibility of overtaking another passenger car "on the third" - an increase from 19 to 22% positive answers. They also consent to overtaking another passenger car immediately before crossing a pedestrian crossing - within two years the tolerance for such behavior has increased from 16 to 19%.