STATISTICS: KAZAKH market decreased 6.4% y-o-y in 3Q2014 due the negative rates reported by life, accidents, financial losses and CARGO sub-segments

The Kazakh insurance market closed the first nine months of 2014 with a 6.4% decrease in GWP to KZT 206.4 billion (EUR 895 million), according to the figures published by the National Bank of Kazakhstan. 87.5% of the total gross written premiums were related to direct insurance contracts, the remaining rest (12.5%) being accounted by accepted reinsurance contracts. At the same time, the share of compulsory insurance classes in total GWP increased to 25.5% from 20.9% in 3Q2013, while the share of voluntary policies decreased to 75.5%.

All in all, the downward trend in gross written premiums was influenced by the strong decreases reported on the following insurance sub-segments: life (-32.2%), accidents (-35.1%), CARGO (-46.7%) and financial losses (-44.8%).

At the end of September 2014, the GWP portfolio consisted mostly of property insurance (21%), life insurance (15.5%), MTPL (12.3%) and policies covering workers accidents (11.7%).

The value of paid claims was up 15.4% y-o-y to KZT 50.5 billion (or EUR 219 million), 23% of which was related to voluntary sickness insurance, 21% - to compulsory MTPL, 19% - compulsory policies covering workers accidents and 14% - life insurance.

By the GWP volume criterion, the market ranking was led by EURASIA (13.4% market share), followed by HALYK-KAZAKHINSTRAKH and NOMAD Life Insurance. The three insurers have generated about one third of the total market.

Access www.xprimm.com and download the 3Q2014 Kazakh insurance market statistics.

Market indicators and market ranking (in EUR and KZT):
  • GWP
  • Claims 
  • Growth rates
  • Market shares

Follow XPRIMM Publications on LinkedIn, for more data on the insurance and financial industry.

Share |

Related articles

KAZAKHSTAN: in 2018 motor insurance generated over 30% of non-life premiums

Based on 2018 result, motor insurance (MTPL and MoD) generated over 30% of non-life GWP. At that, according to the statistics of the National Bank, MTPL segment last year saw a significant concentration growth - TOP-5 generated 66.5% of GWP vs 47.6% in 2017 (total growth of MTPL amounted to 23% y-o-y).

2019-02-07

KAZAKHSTAN: Unit-Linked may become a new market driver

Staring January 1, 2019 Kazakh life insurers may offer Unit-Linked products, charging an insurance fee that will depend on the investment results. Also this year insurance companies may get an investment broker license, as explained the Deputy chairman of the board of Nomad Life, Askar SHAKENOV.

2019-01-25

ON THE MOVE

Bulgaria: Boiko ATANASSOV appointed as FSC's head

The Parliament of the Republic of Bulgaria appointed Boiko ATANASSOV as Chairperson of the Financial Supervision Commission (FSC) on March 15, with 134 votes in favour, none opposed or abstained.

21.03.2019

TOP EVENT

Conclusions: TBILISI - the first Georgian International Insurance Conference

Today takes place in Tbilisi the first Georgian International Insurance Conference, an event that will put under scrutiny the current status and the future development perspectives of the local market, in an attempt of identifying the main growth opportunities. The forthcoming launch of the mandatory MTPL system is the most important topic on the agenda, as this new line of business has the potential to provide for a significant growth, but also to become a market disruptor.

14.03.2019

Motor insurance - becoming more financially efficient and consumer friendly

Under the strong pressure put by the technological evolution, the motor insurance business is rapidly changing, both in operational terms and, most visible, in the way insurers are interacting with their customers. Step by step, the insurers' relationship with customers evolves from simply indemnifying insureds for the losses suffered because of road incidents, to helping them prevent incidents and rapidly recover after the accidents that couldn't be avoided.

27.02.2019

See all