Extreme weather hit Italy causing losses of at least EUR 1 billion only in Veneto

5 November 2018 — Daniela GHETU
The extreme weather events have written another record page last week, when Venice has experienced the worst flooding in at least a decade, with losses estimated at first sight to over EUR 1 billion throughout the Veneto region.

"In a single day, the basilica aged 20 years, but perhaps this is an optimistic consideration," Carlo Alberto Tesserin, head of the board responsible for St. Mark's Basilica, said in a statement. Floodwaters also covered several dozen square meters of the 1,000-year-old marble pavement in front of the alter of the Madonna Nicopeia, a 12th-century icon, and submerged the Baptistery and the Zen Chapel, Tesserin said, according CNN.

High winds, of up to 110 miles per hour and heavy rain have devastated parts of the country causing, beside the dramatic flooding in Venice, landslides that have cut off villages, authorities said. In fact, almost the entire Italian territory has seen an extremely bad weather, with episodes of completely abnormal phenomena. Falling trees have killed several people and destroyed cars or other properties, while a strong hailstorm in Rome which covered some roads as it were snow causing not only traffic chaos in some areas of the capital city, but also flooding in the lower parts of city. A tornado-like heavy storm has caused waves of over 10-meter height which broke the dam in the marina of Rapallo, Northern Italy, after hitting it for hours and damaged hundreds of yachts. Last week-end the severe weather wrote another tragic page in Sicily, where 9 people died in the same house in Sicily when the torrential rains and high winds caused a river to suddenly burst its banks Saturday night.

Overall, the death toll following this period of extremely severe weather events reached 29 victims across the country.

During a visit on Sunday to badly hit areas in the north, Interior Minister Matteo Salvini said USD 285 million had been earmarked for relief. Mr. Salvini, who is also deputy prime minister, said it would cost about USD 40 billion, or about USD 45.5 billion, to safeguard Italy against such events in the future, Reuters reported.


1184 views
Share |