All other proposed members of the Board were also reelected. The Board of Directors also decided to award the title of Honorary Chairman to Walter Kielholz to recognise his services to Swiss Re.
The reinsurer mentioned in a statement that the AGM took place without the shareholders' presence. "Shareholders were able to exercise their voting rights by providing instructions to the independent proxy, Proxy Voting Services GmbH, electronically or in writing. Votes were cast by shareholders representing 62.8% of the shares entitled to vote".
Thus, with a majority of 93.7% of the votes cast, shareholders approved the proposal of the Board of Directors to pay out an ordinary dividend of CHF 5.90 per share for the 2020 financial year - at the same level as the previous year's distribution and reflecting Swiss Re's very strong capital position.
Following the AGM's approval, the dividends will be paid out of voluntary profit reserves and will be distributed beginning 22 April 2021. From 20 April 2021 Swiss Re shares will be traded ex-dividend.
As proposed by the BoD, shareholders approved the election of Sergio Ermotti as the new Chairman of the Board of Directors for a one-year term of office, following Walter Kielholz's decision not to stand for re-election and retire from this position after 12 years of tenure.
Shareholders also re-elected all other proposed members of the Board of Directors as well as the proposed members of the Compensation Committee for a one-year period. In addition, Renato Fassbind was re-appointed as Vice Chairman and as Lead Independent Director at the post-AGM meeting of the Board of Directors.
At the same time, shareholders approved the maximum aggregate amount of compensation for the members of the Board of Directors for the one-year term until the completion of the AGM 2022 with 87.3% of the votes cast.
Additional voting results and information:
- The company's Annual Report and the annual and consolidated financial statements for the 2020 financial year.
- The discharge of all members of the Board of Directors for the last financial year.
- The renewal of the authorisation to issue shares under authorised capital for two years up to 16 April 2023 and the corresponding amendments to the Articles of Association.
- The re-election of KPMG Ltd as the Group's auditor for a one-year term of office for the 2022 financial year.
- The re-election of Proxy Voting Services GmbH, Zurich, as the independent proxy for a one-year term of office until completion of the next AGM.